Skip to main content

Stuffed Cabbage Adventures

Mise-en-place. Took a few hours to get here.

So, during this time of global pandemic, I've been focusing my cooking efforts on shelf-stable foods that don't use special ingredients. Cabbage is definitely a great buy right now --it is versatile and will keep for awhile. It is great for soup, slaw, and....stuffed cabbage.

You might know it as "cigares au chou" or "golabki/golumpki" or "halubki/holumki" or "krautrouladen" OR....cabbage rolls. I've never attempted to make these, so I texted the BFF (Katie (aka @ProfWhoCooks at Cook the Book Fridays) and asked her if she had a go-to recipe. She texted back this recipe from Dorie Greenspan.

So there's something you have to know. I'm a bit of a lazy cook. I don't tend to cook things that are overly involved, due to a lack of both time and inclination on my part. But given that options for procrastination on work-related stuff are limited these days, I read the recipe and figured---well, let's go for it.

A few notes:

1. Removal of cabbage leaves. It is a pain. Do NOT try to remove the cabbage leaves PRIOR to giving the cabbage a quick dip in some boiling water. After several curse-filled attempts at removing leaves, I finally took a cue from Pinterest and dumped the entire head of cabbage in the boiling water for about 2 minutes. This made the leaves just pliable enough that I could roll them off. You'll still need to go slowly and exercise some patience. Keep your fingers close to the cabbage so that there is a minimum of tearing. Keep the water boiling---the inner leaves are probably going to need another dunk to get them where you want them. When it comes time to trim the main ridge/vein/stem -- use a very sharp paring knife. AND, especially right now, we recommend paring AWAY from yourself. The ER does not need a visit from you and your bloody finger.
Steamy cabbage leaves, ready for trimming
2. Filling of cabbage leaves. It is easy. I do wonder about all the various recipes out there that say to roll things "like a burrito." What do burrito recipes say? Likely not "roll like a spring roll" or "roll like a golumpki." Cultural commentary is everywhere.

 If your leaves are pliant enough, don't worry about trimming them---just tuck it in and hide it.

3. The sauce.  Hmm.
Substitutions matter. I did not have apple juice. I did not have brown sugar. The unsweetened apple juice was not a problem --- I pureed actual apples with some water. The brown sugar, on the other hand, might have made a difference. I used "natural" granulated sugar which doesn't have the molasses effect of brown sugar (and before you ask -- no, I didn't have molasses either).  With the grated apple and the sugar, I found the sauce to be too sweet. I think next time I'll "savory" it up with some Worcestershire or something.

4. The filling. EXCELLENT. I used North Hollow Farm 100% beef and sausage from Babette's Table. Good meat makes a difference, but use what you have access to and can afford--that's why this is a good recipe. And Dorie Greenspan's recipe is great --- a little bit of cayenne goes a long way.

I took the recipe's advice and ate them the next day after cooking. My house smelled amazing (3 hour cooking time in the oven) and they were ABSOLUTELY wonderful the next day for dinner. They reheat well. I had extra stuffing that is now in the freezer for a future stuffed peppers project.

Stuffed cabbage, as utilitarian as it might sound, is a lot of work. But the payoff is worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More October 2009 Real Simple Recipes

I've been enjoying the "A Month of Easy Dinners" issue of Real Simple (October 2009). I hope to try all of them, but some of them may have to wait until next Fall. This week, however, I managed to make the " Ravioli with Apples and Walnuts " and " Meatballs with Sautéed chard ". RAVIOLI WITH APPLES AND WALNUTS Modifications: I added some andouille chicken sausage we had in the fridge. Rating: 3.5/5 stars Notes: very good in concept and I liked the apples with the spicy sausage. I did find the dish to be too dry, however, and think I will toss it all in some truffle oil next time. Nice balance of flavors. MEATBALLS WITH SAUTÉED CHARD Modifications: none (served with whole-wheat couscous instead of suggested baguette) Rating: 4/5 stars Notes: really loved these meatballs--would make easy appetizers for a party, too. The combination of pine nuts, currants, cinnamon and pork gave them a Mediterranean taste and the moisture from the chard kept them fro

Book Review: Why We Cook - Women on Food, Identity, and Connection (Gardner)

  Cross-posted at Rebecca's Reading Rants and Raves Why We Cook : Women on Food, Identity, and Connection by Lindsay Gardner My rating: 4 of 5 stars Lindsay Gardner's whimsical-yet-substantive illustrations make this a charming book that is a pleasant mish-mosh of reflections, substantive essays, and lighter fare (inspirational quotes and magazine-type survey questions). While there are a few recipe, it isn't a cookbook--although I certainly would have appreciated an index (foods, recipes, people). The table of contents suffices, however, split into "Memorable Meals", "Kitchen Portraits", "Essays", "Home Cooks in Conversation", "Recipes" (listed by contributor, rather than dish), "Profiles" and "Contributors in Conversation." I found the "in conversation" bits to be the least engaging on the whole, although the occasional nugget of wisdom or a surprising witticism made them worth reading. No

Winter Farmers Market: Sautéed Scallops and Herbed Rice

Somerville, MA is a great city. I love living here, and this year's new Winter Farmer's Market just added to my joy. It runs between now and March, and it has been inspiring to see people trudging out in the cold, ice and snow, to the Armory (yes, the market is inside). This past Saturday, I stocked up on locally grown leeks and potatoes, grabbed some hot Italian sausage from Stillman's , and then ventured upstairs to buy some FRESH FISH from Jordan Brothers Seafood. Yes, that's right: haddock from Gloucester, and scallops from Maine. Not frozen--fresh. When she showed me the scallops I might have cried, just a little. Oh, and I picked up a baguette, brioche, and potato bread. Scallops don't require a lot of fuss, but are easy to overcook. I pulled out my San Juan Classics Cookbook (San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest, not Puerto Rico) and went straight to the shellfish section where I found a recipe for "Sautéed Prawns or Scallops" from Thibert