- 1 bag of whole carrots, peeled and shredded (tip: use the food processor!)*
- 1/4 cup t0 1/2 cup raisins
- 3-4 tablespoons shredded coconut (optional)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (you may wish to use less depending on your taste)
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2-3 teaspoons curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well! Chill for at least an hour.
A few notes:
- you can make this up ahead of time, but do know that the spices and salt will draw a fair amount of liquid out of the carrots. For this reason, you may want to adjust the amount of mayonnaise you use.
- If I want it to have more kick, I use more curry powder. If I want a sweeter slaw, I include more shredded coconut.
- You can buy "shredded carrots" but they tend to be thicker in texture and will not absorb the flavors as well. On the other hand, they retain their own moisture better and will stay crunchy, whereas the hand-shredded carrots get a little "soggy" (hence the raisins for texture and flavor).
- Add slivered almonds or sliced macadamia nuts for more texture.