Skip to main content

Dashi Experiments #1



First post of 2020!
For Christmas, a dear friend gave me Sonoko Sakai's Japanese Home Cooking. This particular dear friend grew up in Japan, cooks Japanese food like nobody's business, and enjoys food as much as I do, so I knew this book would be a treasure.

Beautifully produced, it is the kind of cookbook I love -- one that tells a story. The photographs by Rick Poon are intimate--an invitation to really value and understand the food, the culture, and the chef. I might challenge the byline a bit: "Simple Meals, Authentic Flavors."  In truth, the "simple" part really needs two things: 1) access to some of the ingredients (read: city) and 2) a basic understanding of the culture of Japanese cooking, which is NOT "on-the-go" and "short-on-time."  That said, Sonoko Sakai honors her audience and is realistic about what will be challenging, and what will be more simple. I am so enjoying her prose--she has had a rich and varied life, making the book a joy to read. It is a primer on Japanese food culture as much as anything else, and you'll find yourself wanting to really memorize and internalize all the different kinds of seaweed, sake, etc, so you can navigate an Asian food store like a connoisseur in a wine shop.

So, after letting it sit on my table for awhile, as I looked at the cover image and thought about how I see myself in retirement, I finally cracked it open. I read every word about the "five flavors" and the "five senses" and the "five colors" and the "five cooking techniques" and the "five elements of a meal."  But what really stood out?
The ultimate goal of cooking and eating are health and pleasure. There is no greater joy than sharing good food with the people you love.
I'm Italian-American. Ok, so maybe the "health" part wasn't such a priority for my grandma, but certainly the rest held true. Food was the love language of my family--particularly for my late father. I remember a certain morning many, many years ago. I was a snotty teenager--hellbent on making sure my parents knew how miserable their divorce had made my life (not to say there wasn't a lot to account for on their part)--and my father was desperately using breakfast as a peace offering. I was having none of it. He said, "but you have to eat something! I made you an egg and toast!" I wanted that egg and toast, let me tell you. I was hungry. But my teenage mind said that to accept love (even in a form that wasn't my top choice) was to admit defeat. "I'm NOT HUNGRY," I said, defiantly and emphatically. Really it was: "You love me on MY terms or nothing!"

So that's a pretty extensive digression and I really try not to fill my food blog posts with prose, but let's just say that cooking has become part of my grieving process. So many of my memories of my dad have to do with great food and great wine and great rum. So I'm trying to let those emotions surface a bit when I'm in the kitchen. It feels safe.

Back to cooking. I decided not to bite off more than I could chew, and started with Sakai's very basic bonito and kombu dashi (27). I am blessed to have a wonderful Asian market within an 8 minute walk from my house, and had no trouble finding many of the ingredients that fill the first few pages of Sakai's book.


So after I made the dashi (which was very very simple), I thought I'd try making her shoyu tare (soy-sauce-based seasoning), (105). I was disappointed not to find usukuchi shoyu at the store, so I made do with tamari.  This slightly sweet shoyu is quite marvelous added to the dashi, as it turns out.

I had my dashi, and I knew that adding the shoyu was something prescribed for one of those "fancy" recipes later in the book, so I used that as a starting point.  I marinated some extra firm tofu in some wonderful smoked shoyu for several hours because you can't go wrong with marinated tofu in smoked shoyu, full stop.




After doing several hours of administrative work, I returned to the kitchen, ready to pull together something scrumptious and healthy.

I rehydrated some shiitake mushrooms. SAVE THE WATER!

I cooked some (dried) udon noodles until al dente (Italian, remember?) and then ran them under cold water so that they didn't stick together. I portioned them into two bowls and topped them with the marinated tofu.

I sautéed the shiitake mushrooms (now sliced) with some green onions (an idea stolen from her Noodle Soup recite).

I heated the dashi with a measure of the shoyu tare AND the shiitake mushroom water, and used it to blanch carrots, enoki mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, and spinach (because I had some I needed to use up).



Here's the inefficient part, but a good call: I removed the veggies from the broth using a slotted spoon and then ran them under cold water in a strainer so that they were truly blanched:


Finally, I placed the veggies on top of the noodles & tofu, and poured over the dashi-shoyu tare-shiitake broth: 

What a wonderful, healthy, and joyous meal this was! Note: NOT vegetarian as the dashi is made with bonito flakes, but you could make yours with just kombu, or kombu and shiitake and that would take care of that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More October 2009 Real Simple Recipes

I've been enjoying the "A Month of Easy Dinners" issue of Real Simple (October 2009). I hope to try all of them, but some of them may have to wait until next Fall. This week, however, I managed to make the " Ravioli with Apples and Walnuts " and " Meatballs with Sautéed chard ". RAVIOLI WITH APPLES AND WALNUTS Modifications: I added some andouille chicken sausage we had in the fridge. Rating: 3.5/5 stars Notes: very good in concept and I liked the apples with the spicy sausage. I did find the dish to be too dry, however, and think I will toss it all in some truffle oil next time. Nice balance of flavors. MEATBALLS WITH SAUTÉED CHARD Modifications: none (served with whole-wheat couscous instead of suggested baguette) Rating: 4/5 stars Notes: really loved these meatballs--would make easy appetizers for a party, too. The combination of pine nuts, currants, cinnamon and pork gave them a Mediterranean taste and the moisture from the chard kept them fro

Winter Farmers Market: Sautéed Scallops and Herbed Rice

Somerville, MA is a great city. I love living here, and this year's new Winter Farmer's Market just added to my joy. It runs between now and March, and it has been inspiring to see people trudging out in the cold, ice and snow, to the Armory (yes, the market is inside). This past Saturday, I stocked up on locally grown leeks and potatoes, grabbed some hot Italian sausage from Stillman's , and then ventured upstairs to buy some FRESH FISH from Jordan Brothers Seafood. Yes, that's right: haddock from Gloucester, and scallops from Maine. Not frozen--fresh. When she showed me the scallops I might have cried, just a little. Oh, and I picked up a baguette, brioche, and potato bread. Scallops don't require a lot of fuss, but are easy to overcook. I pulled out my San Juan Classics Cookbook (San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest, not Puerto Rico) and went straight to the shellfish section where I found a recipe for "Sautéed Prawns or Scallops" from Thibert

Miscellanea: Sicilian Caramelized Onions and Homemade Pita Chips

Last month, my family came to visit. My father, who has recently been getting back in touch with his Sicilian roots, is a wonderful cook and I'll admit that I've always been a little daunted cooking for people who cook really well. At any rate, we decided to have a barbeque, invited a few close friends, and I cooked...for three days. This was certainly the most cooking in which I have ever engaged for a single event. Because the attendees to our barbeque ran the gamut of dietary concerns and preferences, I wanted variety. And variety there was. The menu (aside from the meat, which we left to my dad to grill): homemade roasted peppers Sicilian caramelized onions homemade pita chips tabbouleh Amish slaw Chorizo salad watermelon and fresh mint salad To keep this blog post short and sweet, I'll only blog two recipes (the ones that are hyperlinked have been blogged before). First, the pita chips. My dad wanted to help me in the kitchen (something toward which I am usuall