Skip to main content

Easy Pepper Chicken Stir Fry (review) -- or How to Survive without Oyster Sauce

It is Sunday. I spent the day working at my actual workplace, getting some good work done because...Sunday.

My very sweet spouse offered to pick me up, and as we drove home, I realized I hadn't really thought about what to make for dinner. A quick mental inventory of the fridge: bell peppers, chicken, mushrooms. Next, Google.

The last thing I wanted to do was cook, so honestly I picked the first recipe I could find for which I had ingredients. I could have done a stir fry without a recipe, of course, but I needed some sort of inspiration.

Enter "Easy Pepper Chicken Stir Fry" from Holly at Spend with Pennies. On Pinterest it says "This Pepper Chicken Stir Fry recipe is ridiculously easy to make with ingredients that you already have in your pantry..."

MOSTLY true.  But I will tell you---I do not have oyster sauce in my pantry.  Do you? (Not a rhetorical question---I'm actually curious if that is a standard ingredient that people keep on hand).
*featured product in photo not an endorsement


So, despite finding myself without oyster sauce and feeling like a very deficient home cook in not having such a thing in my pantry, I decided to give it a go. I added honey to the stir-fry sauce.  This is not because I think that honey tastes remotely like oysters. Or oyster sauce, for that matter.  But I figured it a) wouldn't clash with the other ingredients and b) would provide some needed gooeyness to the texture. Turns out, I was right.



This was also another excellent opportunity to highlight the glory that is my larger-than-life cast iron skillet. The one my spouse thought I'd never use. It was perfect for this dish because it allowed me to cook all the chicken in a single batch with plenty of room to spare.


Slightly less cranky (thanks to a cocktail) but no more patient, I did not want to make rice, so this seemed like the right time to use those RICE NOODLES that I've had on hand for no reason other than the fact that they cook in 5 minutes. I wish I was kidding. Sometimes I really have no patience.
So, there you have it. The moral of the story? Well, there is none, except that perhaps I should add oyster sauce to my pantry staples. But this was VERY good, semi-easy, and that's even without the oyster sauce. I also did not use freshly ground pepper, but pre-ground black pepper (yikes! I know---scandalous). I think that was a good call here--it calls for a lot of pepper and the flavor came through in a way I'm not sure it would have had I patiently freshly ground all that pepper.

If you are looking for a tasty, quick (ish), and above-average stir-fry recipe, this is it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More October 2009 Real Simple Recipes

I've been enjoying the "A Month of Easy Dinners" issue of Real Simple (October 2009). I hope to try all of them, but some of them may have to wait until next Fall. This week, however, I managed to make the " Ravioli with Apples and Walnuts " and " Meatballs with Sautéed chard ". RAVIOLI WITH APPLES AND WALNUTS Modifications: I added some andouille chicken sausage we had in the fridge. Rating: 3.5/5 stars Notes: very good in concept and I liked the apples with the spicy sausage. I did find the dish to be too dry, however, and think I will toss it all in some truffle oil next time. Nice balance of flavors. MEATBALLS WITH SAUTÉED CHARD Modifications: none (served with whole-wheat couscous instead of suggested baguette) Rating: 4/5 stars Notes: really loved these meatballs--would make easy appetizers for a party, too. The combination of pine nuts, currants, cinnamon and pork gave them a Mediterranean taste and the moisture from the chard kept them fro

Book Review: Why We Cook - Women on Food, Identity, and Connection (Gardner)

  Cross-posted at Rebecca's Reading Rants and Raves Why We Cook : Women on Food, Identity, and Connection by Lindsay Gardner My rating: 4 of 5 stars Lindsay Gardner's whimsical-yet-substantive illustrations make this a charming book that is a pleasant mish-mosh of reflections, substantive essays, and lighter fare (inspirational quotes and magazine-type survey questions). While there are a few recipe, it isn't a cookbook--although I certainly would have appreciated an index (foods, recipes, people). The table of contents suffices, however, split into "Memorable Meals", "Kitchen Portraits", "Essays", "Home Cooks in Conversation", "Recipes" (listed by contributor, rather than dish), "Profiles" and "Contributors in Conversation." I found the "in conversation" bits to be the least engaging on the whole, although the occasional nugget of wisdom or a surprising witticism made them worth reading. No

Winter Farmers Market: Sautéed Scallops and Herbed Rice

Somerville, MA is a great city. I love living here, and this year's new Winter Farmer's Market just added to my joy. It runs between now and March, and it has been inspiring to see people trudging out in the cold, ice and snow, to the Armory (yes, the market is inside). This past Saturday, I stocked up on locally grown leeks and potatoes, grabbed some hot Italian sausage from Stillman's , and then ventured upstairs to buy some FRESH FISH from Jordan Brothers Seafood. Yes, that's right: haddock from Gloucester, and scallops from Maine. Not frozen--fresh. When she showed me the scallops I might have cried, just a little. Oh, and I picked up a baguette, brioche, and potato bread. Scallops don't require a lot of fuss, but are easy to overcook. I pulled out my San Juan Classics Cookbook (San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest, not Puerto Rico) and went straight to the shellfish section where I found a recipe for "Sautéed Prawns or Scallops" from Thibert