Skip to main content

Summer of Salads: (Review)-- Smashed Cucumber Salad (Smitten Kitchen)

I received Deb Perelman's Smitten Kitchen Everyday cookbook for Christmas, and finally had the time to crack it open. I started with the Smashed Cucumber Salad with Salted Peanuts and Wasabi Peas (page 50)... As always with a copyrighted recipe, I'll post the ingredients, but not the amounts.

The basics: seedless cucumbers, kosher salt, sake, rice vinegar, sesame oil, hot pepper flakes, salted peanuts, wasabi peas

So, this recipe had me at "wasabi peas"--so much so that I completely overlooked the SAKE (hence why I have it italicized and emphasized up above). I didn't read the recipe beforehand, because I thought that wouldn't be necessary for a "salad" and because I am sometimes not-so-smart like that. That would have saved me from my omission of sake, but alas. And I usually always read the prose from Deb Perelman because she's hilarious.

So, what to do when you don't have sake? Internet to the rescue! There were two suggestions for substitutions: 1) rice vinegar diluted with water and 2) sherry. The recipe already called for rice vinegar and when given the choice of diluted vinegar water or alcohol, you can guess which one sounded more appealing. So I subbed sherry for sake and have made it a priority to get sake so I can try this again (I'll update here). The sherry worked, but I have a feeling the flavors will be markedly different with sake.

A few notes:

1) "Smashing"
If you've never taken a meat tenderizer to a cucumber, it is surprisingly satisfying. Beyond that, Deb Perelman swears it helps the cucumbers absorb the flavors, so who am I to argue? I'm not totally sold on the trend of getting rid of cucumber seeds--I happen to like them. So, I kept whatever didn't fall out during the smashing process.


2) "Marinating"
Perelman does a pre-salting/marinade step in a colander over a bowl. I'll be curious to try everything together than just the salt and sake, which is how I approach cucumber salad. The pre-marinated cucumbers then get tossed in the remaining ingredients. Deb is on the fence about dressing the salad ahead of time.  After eating leftovers the day after, if you are ok with slippery cucumbers, I say go for it...let them stew a bit! That said, I'd probably go with thin slices in that case, because you lose the whole mouthfeel of the crunchy crushed cucumbers.

3) Toppings!
Do know that the wasabi peas lose their oomph after a bit, so if you do plan on having leftovers, sprinkle the crunchy stuff per serving, not in the bowl.


OVERALL:  Really lovely salad--I made it as the only side to accompany some grilled arctic char. That was perfect and made for a light and healthy summer dinner! I'll be curious to try it with the sake to see how it compares, but mostly I just longed for a slightly more acidic taste, so I'll have to customize the amounts and experiment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More October 2009 Real Simple Recipes

I've been enjoying the "A Month of Easy Dinners" issue of Real Simple (October 2009). I hope to try all of them, but some of them may have to wait until next Fall. This week, however, I managed to make the " Ravioli with Apples and Walnuts " and " Meatballs with Sautéed chard ". RAVIOLI WITH APPLES AND WALNUTS Modifications: I added some andouille chicken sausage we had in the fridge. Rating: 3.5/5 stars Notes: very good in concept and I liked the apples with the spicy sausage. I did find the dish to be too dry, however, and think I will toss it all in some truffle oil next time. Nice balance of flavors. MEATBALLS WITH SAUTÉED CHARD Modifications: none (served with whole-wheat couscous instead of suggested baguette) Rating: 4/5 stars Notes: really loved these meatballs--would make easy appetizers for a party, too. The combination of pine nuts, currants, cinnamon and pork gave them a Mediterranean taste and the moisture from the chard kept them fro

Winter Farmers Market: Sautéed Scallops and Herbed Rice

Somerville, MA is a great city. I love living here, and this year's new Winter Farmer's Market just added to my joy. It runs between now and March, and it has been inspiring to see people trudging out in the cold, ice and snow, to the Armory (yes, the market is inside). This past Saturday, I stocked up on locally grown leeks and potatoes, grabbed some hot Italian sausage from Stillman's , and then ventured upstairs to buy some FRESH FISH from Jordan Brothers Seafood. Yes, that's right: haddock from Gloucester, and scallops from Maine. Not frozen--fresh. When she showed me the scallops I might have cried, just a little. Oh, and I picked up a baguette, brioche, and potato bread. Scallops don't require a lot of fuss, but are easy to overcook. I pulled out my San Juan Classics Cookbook (San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest, not Puerto Rico) and went straight to the shellfish section where I found a recipe for "Sautéed Prawns or Scallops" from Thibert

Miscellanea: Sicilian Caramelized Onions and Homemade Pita Chips

Last month, my family came to visit. My father, who has recently been getting back in touch with his Sicilian roots, is a wonderful cook and I'll admit that I've always been a little daunted cooking for people who cook really well. At any rate, we decided to have a barbeque, invited a few close friends, and I cooked...for three days. This was certainly the most cooking in which I have ever engaged for a single event. Because the attendees to our barbeque ran the gamut of dietary concerns and preferences, I wanted variety. And variety there was. The menu (aside from the meat, which we left to my dad to grill): homemade roasted peppers Sicilian caramelized onions homemade pita chips tabbouleh Amish slaw Chorizo salad watermelon and fresh mint salad To keep this blog post short and sweet, I'll only blog two recipes (the ones that are hyperlinked have been blogged before). First, the pita chips. My dad wanted to help me in the kitchen (something toward which I am usuall