Skip to main content

Miscellanea: Sicilian Caramelized Onions and Homemade Pita Chips

Last month, my family came to visit. My father, who has recently been getting back in touch with his Sicilian roots, is a wonderful cook and I'll admit that I've always been a little daunted cooking for people who cook really well. At any rate, we decided to have a barbeque, invited a few close friends, and I cooked...for three days. This was certainly the most cooking in which I have ever engaged for a single event. Because the attendees to our barbeque ran the gamut of dietary concerns and preferences, I wanted variety. And variety there was. The menu (aside from the meat, which we left to my dad to grill):

  • homemade roasted peppers
  • Sicilian caramelized onions
  • homemade pita chips
  • tabbouleh
  • Amish slaw
  • Chorizo salad
  • watermelon and fresh mint salad
To keep this blog post short and sweet, I'll only blog two recipes (the ones that are hyperlinked have been blogged before).

First, the pita chips. My dad wanted to help me in the kitchen (something toward which I am usually averse), but for the sake of father-daughter bonding, I set him up with a bunch of pita bread, a knife, a small bowl of olive oil, and brush. Then I basically followed this recipe. I used whole wheat and regular pitas, and made a batch without parmesan for a dairy-free guest.

The onions are from a cookbook that appears to be out-of-print, or at least no longer available from Amazon (only used). Dad loved them.

Sicilian Caramelized Onions (from Simply Pasta and Italian (Parragon, 2003)--p. 42)
(Serves 4--you'll want to double the recipe if making it for a barbeque)

12oz baby or pickling onions (I used "Pearl" onions)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 fresh bay leaves, torn into strips
thinly pared peel of 1 lemon, cut into short, thin, sticks
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp honey
4 tbsp red wine vinegar

Soak the onions in a bowl of boiling water--this makes them easier to peel. Using a sharp knife, peel and halve the onions.

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the bay leaves and onions to the skillet and cook for 5-6 minutes over med-high heat, or until they are well-browned all over.

Add the lemon peel to the skillet with the sugar and honey. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly caramelized.

Add the red wine vinegar to the skillet (be careful---watch for spitting!). Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring, or until the onions are tender and the liquid has almost disappeared.

Transfer the onions and serve at once.*

*I served mine chilled...and they are great. This also means you can make them ahead. :)

Comments

  1. I am trying this one Rebecca, the one with the little Onions. I just bought them this afternoon, and that is my next cooking project this week, beside a lot on my list, love, Josee

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, I did cook the Sicilian Caramelized Onions, and it was absolutely delicious! The recipe is in my cookbook in my favorite section. Merci beaucoup.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More October 2009 Real Simple Recipes

I've been enjoying the "A Month of Easy Dinners" issue of Real Simple (October 2009). I hope to try all of them, but some of them may have to wait until next Fall. This week, however, I managed to make the " Ravioli with Apples and Walnuts " and " Meatballs with Sautéed chard ". RAVIOLI WITH APPLES AND WALNUTS Modifications: I added some andouille chicken sausage we had in the fridge. Rating: 3.5/5 stars Notes: very good in concept and I liked the apples with the spicy sausage. I did find the dish to be too dry, however, and think I will toss it all in some truffle oil next time. Nice balance of flavors. MEATBALLS WITH SAUTÉED CHARD Modifications: none (served with whole-wheat couscous instead of suggested baguette) Rating: 4/5 stars Notes: really loved these meatballs--would make easy appetizers for a party, too. The combination of pine nuts, currants, cinnamon and pork gave them a Mediterranean taste and the moisture from the chard kept them fro

Winter Farmers Market: Sautéed Scallops and Herbed Rice

Somerville, MA is a great city. I love living here, and this year's new Winter Farmer's Market just added to my joy. It runs between now and March, and it has been inspiring to see people trudging out in the cold, ice and snow, to the Armory (yes, the market is inside). This past Saturday, I stocked up on locally grown leeks and potatoes, grabbed some hot Italian sausage from Stillman's , and then ventured upstairs to buy some FRESH FISH from Jordan Brothers Seafood. Yes, that's right: haddock from Gloucester, and scallops from Maine. Not frozen--fresh. When she showed me the scallops I might have cried, just a little. Oh, and I picked up a baguette, brioche, and potato bread. Scallops don't require a lot of fuss, but are easy to overcook. I pulled out my San Juan Classics Cookbook (San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest, not Puerto Rico) and went straight to the shellfish section where I found a recipe for "Sautéed Prawns or Scallops" from Thibert

Quinoa Pilaf with Artichokes, Leeks and Sugar Snap Peas

More Quinoa!  This was healthy, easy, and, "a way I actually *like* quinoa" as reported by my husband.  The recipe is here , and I made the following notes: stir the quinoa in the oil and leeks for 2-3 minutes before adding the broth definitely use low-sodium chicken broth---quinoa absorbs salt very well and I found that the regular chicken broth was too salty.  If you are using homemade stock or veggie broth, you are probably fine. I will add the snap peas last next time (with the artichoke hearts). I like my peas to retain their "snap." This is really a terrific meal for summer or to bring to a potluck.