Skip to main content

Seafood Extravaganza 2: Saffron-Steamed Mussels with Crème Fraîche


One might subtitle this post:
Or, Why Not to Cook When You Don't Feel Well.

It doesn't help that celery, fennel and leeks all begin to look rather alike--especially when cut into matchsticks. But have no fear--this "mistake" actually turned out well in the end...at least for the mussels

While on "Spring Break" which I affectionately refer to as "Break from Teaching, but little else," I've been focusing on going trough my fantastic Stir cookbook by Barbara Lynch. After conquering clams the week before, I felt it was time to try mussels, which, frankly, are more of a pain to clean. I wish I had looked at Ina Garten's Barefoot in Paris, because I just found a great description of how to clean mussels, but I managed. Mussels have these annoying "beards" that one must remove. I didn't soak the mussels as Garten recommends, and I wonder if this would have made the beard-removal easier. Moreover, half the beard stays IN the mussel, so I ended up removing them after cooking as well.

See the kinds of trouble I get into when I don't teach?

At any rate...one of the reasons I love Barbara Lynch is because she writes things about saffron like this: "I'm not going to be half-assed about it and call for the usual "pinch" or "a few threads." (Stir, 192). She's not kidding. Two teaspoons of saffron threads. I used slightly less than that, which came to about $10 worth of saffron.

So the "mistake" I made was cooking the fennel instead of the leeks and celery. The fennel is supposed to stay raw, combined with tomatoes, celery leaves, olive oil and lemon juice as a little salad-mixture to top the mussels. So, we had a salad mixture comprised of leeks, celery, and the aforementioned ingredients. Not terrible, except that I don't love raw leeks.

The cooked fennel, on the other hand, was lovely in the recipe. In butter and olive oil, I cooked the fennel with chopped garlic. To this I added the crumbled saffron, red pepper flakes, 2 cups of white wine, salt and the cleaned mussels. This sits covered for as long as it takes the little guys to open.

Once opened, I removed the mussels with a slotted spoon and made the sauce: basically reduce the broth in the pot and whisk in crème fraîche, letting it simmer for a bit. Serve the mussels in the bowl and pour the sauce over it. Serve with the salad-mixture on top (either my "version" or hers).

This was fantastic....and even better for lunch the next day! Funky salad-mixture not pictured below:
Note: Due to copyright, I haven't reproduced the recipe, but if you actually read all my prose, you'll get a good sense of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More October 2009 Real Simple Recipes

I've been enjoying the "A Month of Easy Dinners" issue of Real Simple (October 2009). I hope to try all of them, but some of them may have to wait until next Fall. This week, however, I managed to make the " Ravioli with Apples and Walnuts " and " Meatballs with Sautéed chard ". RAVIOLI WITH APPLES AND WALNUTS Modifications: I added some andouille chicken sausage we had in the fridge. Rating: 3.5/5 stars Notes: very good in concept and I liked the apples with the spicy sausage. I did find the dish to be too dry, however, and think I will toss it all in some truffle oil next time. Nice balance of flavors. MEATBALLS WITH SAUTÉED CHARD Modifications: none (served with whole-wheat couscous instead of suggested baguette) Rating: 4/5 stars Notes: really loved these meatballs--would make easy appetizers for a party, too. The combination of pine nuts, currants, cinnamon and pork gave them a Mediterranean taste and the moisture from the chard kept them fro

Winter Farmers Market: Sautéed Scallops and Herbed Rice

Somerville, MA is a great city. I love living here, and this year's new Winter Farmer's Market just added to my joy. It runs between now and March, and it has been inspiring to see people trudging out in the cold, ice and snow, to the Armory (yes, the market is inside). This past Saturday, I stocked up on locally grown leeks and potatoes, grabbed some hot Italian sausage from Stillman's , and then ventured upstairs to buy some FRESH FISH from Jordan Brothers Seafood. Yes, that's right: haddock from Gloucester, and scallops from Maine. Not frozen--fresh. When she showed me the scallops I might have cried, just a little. Oh, and I picked up a baguette, brioche, and potato bread. Scallops don't require a lot of fuss, but are easy to overcook. I pulled out my San Juan Classics Cookbook (San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest, not Puerto Rico) and went straight to the shellfish section where I found a recipe for "Sautéed Prawns or Scallops" from Thibert

Miscellanea: Sicilian Caramelized Onions and Homemade Pita Chips

Last month, my family came to visit. My father, who has recently been getting back in touch with his Sicilian roots, is a wonderful cook and I'll admit that I've always been a little daunted cooking for people who cook really well. At any rate, we decided to have a barbeque, invited a few close friends, and I cooked...for three days. This was certainly the most cooking in which I have ever engaged for a single event. Because the attendees to our barbeque ran the gamut of dietary concerns and preferences, I wanted variety. And variety there was. The menu (aside from the meat, which we left to my dad to grill): homemade roasted peppers Sicilian caramelized onions homemade pita chips tabbouleh Amish slaw Chorizo salad watermelon and fresh mint salad To keep this blog post short and sweet, I'll only blog two recipes (the ones that are hyperlinked have been blogged before). First, the pita chips. My dad wanted to help me in the kitchen (something toward which I am usuall