Skip to main content

Winters Farmer Market: Fish with Avocado Relish and Carrot Puree; Rosemary Almond Orzo Pilaf

I will start with a confession.

I don't like avocados. Yes, I am from California, and I do NOT like avocados.

Ok, mash 'em up with lots of spices, lime juice, etc. and call it guacamole and we are all good.

So...why I would make something with avocado for the first time now that it is winter in Massachusetts is beyond me, but this recipe from the March 2011 issue of Real Simple jumped out at me:
Pollock with avocado relish and carrot puree (click link for recipe)

I used these amazing carrots I bought at the Somerville Winters Farmers Market from Winter Moon Farm for the purée. Something about a mixture of kalamata olives and avocado appealed to me--I can handle avocado when it is in smaller chunks--it is the slices that trouble me. I didn't have pollock, but substituted haddock from Jordan Bros Seafood (also purchased at the Somerville Winters Farmers Market).

This recipe was healthy, delicious, and colorful--and would be great for summer. I used the leftover carrot puree as a spread on some baguette (Hi-Rise) with fresh mozzarella from Fiore di Nonno (and a glass of Pinot Grigio) for lunch the following day. Yes, I think I'm definitely ready for summer...
Last night, I made smoked porkchops from Stillman's, which is the sole reason I get to the Farmer's market so early (that and the crowds). They don't have them very often, but when they do, I feel like I've won the lottery. So I picked these up a couple of weeks ago, and then found that the applesauce from Cook's Farm practically jumped into my bag, clearly attracted to those chops. Because the chops have so much flavor from the smoking, I take a very minimalist approach when cooking them--a little bit of olive oil, white pepper, maple syrup and white wine. I don't add any salt (not necessary). I served it with this

Rosemary-Almond Orzo Pilaf
(more or less really this recipe)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 finely chopped onions
  • 1 and 1/2 cups orzo
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 and 1/2 cups water
  • white pepper
  • salt
  • large handful rosemary almonds (from Qs Nuts), coarsely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese
In a medium saucepan (that has a cover), sauté onions in olive oil until softened. Add the orzo, stirring frequently, until it is golden. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add salt, pepper, almonds, and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cover pan, simmering for about 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Serve and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.

I actually like a little liquid left so that it is a creamy pilaf, so I stop cooking it just before the water is totally absorbed. I loved how this came out. The husband felt it needed more salt, so next time I'll probably substitute chicken broth for water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More October 2009 Real Simple Recipes

I've been enjoying the "A Month of Easy Dinners" issue of Real Simple (October 2009). I hope to try all of them, but some of them may have to wait until next Fall. This week, however, I managed to make the " Ravioli with Apples and Walnuts " and " Meatballs with Sautéed chard ". RAVIOLI WITH APPLES AND WALNUTS Modifications: I added some andouille chicken sausage we had in the fridge. Rating: 3.5/5 stars Notes: very good in concept and I liked the apples with the spicy sausage. I did find the dish to be too dry, however, and think I will toss it all in some truffle oil next time. Nice balance of flavors. MEATBALLS WITH SAUTÉED CHARD Modifications: none (served with whole-wheat couscous instead of suggested baguette) Rating: 4/5 stars Notes: really loved these meatballs--would make easy appetizers for a party, too. The combination of pine nuts, currants, cinnamon and pork gave them a Mediterranean taste and the moisture from the chard kept them fro

Book Review: Why We Cook - Women on Food, Identity, and Connection (Gardner)

  Cross-posted at Rebecca's Reading Rants and Raves Why We Cook : Women on Food, Identity, and Connection by Lindsay Gardner My rating: 4 of 5 stars Lindsay Gardner's whimsical-yet-substantive illustrations make this a charming book that is a pleasant mish-mosh of reflections, substantive essays, and lighter fare (inspirational quotes and magazine-type survey questions). While there are a few recipe, it isn't a cookbook--although I certainly would have appreciated an index (foods, recipes, people). The table of contents suffices, however, split into "Memorable Meals", "Kitchen Portraits", "Essays", "Home Cooks in Conversation", "Recipes" (listed by contributor, rather than dish), "Profiles" and "Contributors in Conversation." I found the "in conversation" bits to be the least engaging on the whole, although the occasional nugget of wisdom or a surprising witticism made them worth reading. No

Winter Farmers Market: Sautéed Scallops and Herbed Rice

Somerville, MA is a great city. I love living here, and this year's new Winter Farmer's Market just added to my joy. It runs between now and March, and it has been inspiring to see people trudging out in the cold, ice and snow, to the Armory (yes, the market is inside). This past Saturday, I stocked up on locally grown leeks and potatoes, grabbed some hot Italian sausage from Stillman's , and then ventured upstairs to buy some FRESH FISH from Jordan Brothers Seafood. Yes, that's right: haddock from Gloucester, and scallops from Maine. Not frozen--fresh. When she showed me the scallops I might have cried, just a little. Oh, and I picked up a baguette, brioche, and potato bread. Scallops don't require a lot of fuss, but are easy to overcook. I pulled out my San Juan Classics Cookbook (San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest, not Puerto Rico) and went straight to the shellfish section where I found a recipe for "Sautéed Prawns or Scallops" from Thibert