Skip to main content

Meze: Saffron Risotto-stuffed baby squid

Saffron Risotto-stuffed Calamari with Tri-Colored Pepper & Zebra Tomato salad

I picked up this little bargain cookbook quite awhile ago, and let me just say now, for the record, I don't know how on earth Amazon sellers would justify asking $57.95, and no...wait for it.. $135.71 for a cheap, paperback 64 page Könemann cookbook. That's disgraceful. I think I paid $4 at most. At any rate, I digress.

I've made several recipes from Anne Wilson's Meze: Mediterranean-Style Eating, and while many of the recipes are labor-intensive (and some are missing list ingredients, ahem), most everything I've made has turned out well, including my first try with dolmades.

So tonight I decided to try the Saffron Risotto-stuffed Baby Squid, given the presence of calamari in my freezer and my great love for risotto. I left out two of the main ingredients for the risotto (leeks and fennel) and substituted a few other ingredients:

Saffron risotto-stuffed calamari (adapted from Anne Wilson, Meze: p. 50)

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 2 1/4 cup chicken broth (Wilson suggests vegetable stock)
  • 1 large clove of garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons butter (or just use 3 tablespoons olive oil)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup arborio rice
  • a pinch of ground saffron
  • freshly ground pepper and salt
  • 16 calamari hoods
  • 3 lemons, sliced
1. Combine wine and broth in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
2. Heat the oil and butter (or just oil) in a heavy-based saucepan or skillet, and add the garlic, cooking over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the rice, stirring for 1 minute, making sure to coat the grains with the oil. Gradually add the hot broth mixture, one ladle at a time, stirring frequently until all the liquid has been absorbed before adding more.
4. When rice is tender, add saffron and season well with salt and pepper. Spread the risotto onto a flat tray to cool slightly.

5. Preheat the oven to 350F. Stuff each squid hood with two teaspoons of the risotto. {It was messy, but easier to just use my hands}. Be careful not to overfill the squid or they may split during cooking. Secure the top of each squid with a cocktail pick.



6. Line a baking sheet with foil, add the lemon slices and top with the stuffed squid. Cover and bake for 20 minutes, turning once, or until the squid are cooked and tender. Don't spoon the sauce over the squid as it is too bitter. (She's right! I tasted it to be sure). Discard the lemon and juices after cooking and serve the squid whole or cut into slices.


This was really quite a lovely recipe and great for summer. I imagine you could even serve it chilled. I cut a few of the calamari into rings, but would probably only take the time to present all of it this way if I was making this for company (it is time consuming, as you have to keep the risotto in the ring). If you have just a little bit of patience for the risotto and the stuffing, this is really a rather easy recipe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More October 2009 Real Simple Recipes

I've been enjoying the "A Month of Easy Dinners" issue of Real Simple (October 2009). I hope to try all of them, but some of them may have to wait until next Fall. This week, however, I managed to make the " Ravioli with Apples and Walnuts " and " Meatballs with Sautéed chard ". RAVIOLI WITH APPLES AND WALNUTS Modifications: I added some andouille chicken sausage we had in the fridge. Rating: 3.5/5 stars Notes: very good in concept and I liked the apples with the spicy sausage. I did find the dish to be too dry, however, and think I will toss it all in some truffle oil next time. Nice balance of flavors. MEATBALLS WITH SAUTÉED CHARD Modifications: none (served with whole-wheat couscous instead of suggested baguette) Rating: 4/5 stars Notes: really loved these meatballs--would make easy appetizers for a party, too. The combination of pine nuts, currants, cinnamon and pork gave them a Mediterranean taste and the moisture from the chard kept them fro

Winter Farmers Market: Sautéed Scallops and Herbed Rice

Somerville, MA is a great city. I love living here, and this year's new Winter Farmer's Market just added to my joy. It runs between now and March, and it has been inspiring to see people trudging out in the cold, ice and snow, to the Armory (yes, the market is inside). This past Saturday, I stocked up on locally grown leeks and potatoes, grabbed some hot Italian sausage from Stillman's , and then ventured upstairs to buy some FRESH FISH from Jordan Brothers Seafood. Yes, that's right: haddock from Gloucester, and scallops from Maine. Not frozen--fresh. When she showed me the scallops I might have cried, just a little. Oh, and I picked up a baguette, brioche, and potato bread. Scallops don't require a lot of fuss, but are easy to overcook. I pulled out my San Juan Classics Cookbook (San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest, not Puerto Rico) and went straight to the shellfish section where I found a recipe for "Sautéed Prawns or Scallops" from Thibert

Miscellanea: Sicilian Caramelized Onions and Homemade Pita Chips

Last month, my family came to visit. My father, who has recently been getting back in touch with his Sicilian roots, is a wonderful cook and I'll admit that I've always been a little daunted cooking for people who cook really well. At any rate, we decided to have a barbeque, invited a few close friends, and I cooked...for three days. This was certainly the most cooking in which I have ever engaged for a single event. Because the attendees to our barbeque ran the gamut of dietary concerns and preferences, I wanted variety. And variety there was. The menu (aside from the meat, which we left to my dad to grill): homemade roasted peppers Sicilian caramelized onions homemade pita chips tabbouleh Amish slaw Chorizo salad watermelon and fresh mint salad To keep this blog post short and sweet, I'll only blog two recipes (the ones that are hyperlinked have been blogged before). First, the pita chips. My dad wanted to help me in the kitchen (something toward which I am usuall