Skip to main content

Revisiting Brussels Sprouts and Surviving...


To continue our series on cooking foods that I have historically LOATHED (see squash)...tonight I made a pasta dish inspired by p. 66 of Real Simple's November 2009 issue AND my local farmer's market.

Brussels Sprouts. Yes. I HATE (did hate) brussels sprouts. When I was a child, my parents would grant me an additional prerogative of my choosing every birthday. The first one I picked was to no longer have to eat brussels sprouts. My mother even wrote it up by decree and signed it with a wax seal. I'm fairly certain I have not eaten brussels sprouts since I was thirteen or so. Of all vegetables, the gag factor for brussels sprouts was the highest (maybe tied with eggplant).

So, again, overcome by my need to partake of New England's regional bounty of autumn veggies, I spotted some brussels sprouts at this morning's farmer's market. I remembered Martha Stewart trying to convince me (via TV) that they really were quite wonderful when grown at home and prepared right off the stalk, so, $3 later---I walked home with a stalk of sprouts.

I learned from Real Simple that brussels sprouts are "cruciferous" veggies full of good things like Vitamin C, dietary fiber and potassium. The sprouts I bought bore little to no resemblance to the awful things I've eaten in California. These were very small, green and looked slightly less threatening.

Taking my cue from page 66, I decided to roast them in the oven with some olive oil, sea salt, and pepper for use in a pasta. Despite some over-roasting issues, the ended up working quite well in the pasta (see below for my original recipe). VERDICT? palatable. :)

WHOLE-WHEAT SPAGHETTI WITH SAUSAGE, HAZELNUTS
& BRUSSELS SPROUTS


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lb. whole wheat spaghetti
  • three large links fresh sweet italian lamb sausage (or sausage of your choice)
  • 1-2 stalks of brussels sprouts (depending on size)--the smaller the sprout, the sweeter
  • 1/4 cup hazelnuts, chopped
  • 5 tablespoons olive oil
  • one large lump fresh mozzarella (as fresh as possible--I got mine at the farmer's market, made right here in Somerville) (shaved, or grated)
  • garlic powder
  • black truffle oil
  • dried parsley
  • sea salt
  • ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS:
  • Preheat oven to 425 F.
  • In medium to large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil (med-high heat).
  • Remove sprouts from stalk, clean, and cut in half lengthwise. On a baking sheet, place the sprouts face down, and drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Roast in oven for 5-10 minutes, then set aside.
  • Start water boiling for pasta.
  • In heated oil, add sliced sausage, cooking through. Add hazlenuts and dried parsley to taste, stirring frequently. You may wish to discard the oil/grease from the sausage, or you can use it in lieu of additional olive oil.
  • cook spaghetti in salted water until al dente. Drain, then add to skillet with sausage, etc.
  • Toss in the brussels sprouts with 1 tablespoon black truffle oil, a pinch of garlic powder and mozzarella, and toss until heated through. Serve warm!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More October 2009 Real Simple Recipes

I've been enjoying the "A Month of Easy Dinners" issue of Real Simple (October 2009). I hope to try all of them, but some of them may have to wait until next Fall. This week, however, I managed to make the " Ravioli with Apples and Walnuts " and " Meatballs with Sautéed chard ". RAVIOLI WITH APPLES AND WALNUTS Modifications: I added some andouille chicken sausage we had in the fridge. Rating: 3.5/5 stars Notes: very good in concept and I liked the apples with the spicy sausage. I did find the dish to be too dry, however, and think I will toss it all in some truffle oil next time. Nice balance of flavors. MEATBALLS WITH SAUTÉED CHARD Modifications: none (served with whole-wheat couscous instead of suggested baguette) Rating: 4/5 stars Notes: really loved these meatballs--would make easy appetizers for a party, too. The combination of pine nuts, currants, cinnamon and pork gave them a Mediterranean taste and the moisture from the chard kept them fro

Winter Farmers Market: Sautéed Scallops and Herbed Rice

Somerville, MA is a great city. I love living here, and this year's new Winter Farmer's Market just added to my joy. It runs between now and March, and it has been inspiring to see people trudging out in the cold, ice and snow, to the Armory (yes, the market is inside). This past Saturday, I stocked up on locally grown leeks and potatoes, grabbed some hot Italian sausage from Stillman's , and then ventured upstairs to buy some FRESH FISH from Jordan Brothers Seafood. Yes, that's right: haddock from Gloucester, and scallops from Maine. Not frozen--fresh. When she showed me the scallops I might have cried, just a little. Oh, and I picked up a baguette, brioche, and potato bread. Scallops don't require a lot of fuss, but are easy to overcook. I pulled out my San Juan Classics Cookbook (San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest, not Puerto Rico) and went straight to the shellfish section where I found a recipe for "Sautéed Prawns or Scallops" from Thibert

Miscellanea: Sicilian Caramelized Onions and Homemade Pita Chips

Last month, my family came to visit. My father, who has recently been getting back in touch with his Sicilian roots, is a wonderful cook and I'll admit that I've always been a little daunted cooking for people who cook really well. At any rate, we decided to have a barbeque, invited a few close friends, and I cooked...for three days. This was certainly the most cooking in which I have ever engaged for a single event. Because the attendees to our barbeque ran the gamut of dietary concerns and preferences, I wanted variety. And variety there was. The menu (aside from the meat, which we left to my dad to grill): homemade roasted peppers Sicilian caramelized onions homemade pita chips tabbouleh Amish slaw Chorizo salad watermelon and fresh mint salad To keep this blog post short and sweet, I'll only blog two recipes (the ones that are hyperlinked have been blogged before). First, the pita chips. My dad wanted to help me in the kitchen (something toward which I am usuall